Monday, August 27, 2012

The Written Word: Journaling Supplies


As summer draws to a close, I'm gearing up for a couple of exciting fall activities:
Along with the changing of the seasons, I'm excited to finally have a firm grasp for where I'm going with this blog. It's important for me to stick with my strengths and tweak them to be interesting to readers. About a month ago I came up with the tag line 'a quirky take on memory-keeping'; and I think that really sums up what I'm going for. Not just scrapbooking, or paper-crafting, or another crafty blog -- but me, and the way I do memory-keeping. iPhone pictures, lists, social-media, all the stuff that gets used on a day-to-day basis. Which will hopefully inspire other people to do the same. So going forward, along with the scrapbooking and paper-crafting posts, I'll be talking a lot more about everyday ways to supplement your memory-keeping. Whether it be journaling prompts, social media tips, handwriting techniques, and whatever else comes along. I'm thrilled that I've finally found my niche


The Written Word: Journaling Supplies

I love writing things down with pen and paper. Every paper that I write for school (no matter how long) is always written out by hand first, and sometimes more than once. I remember things better when I write them out, and its easier to make connections between ideas when I have that connection between my hands and actually forming out the words (yeah it sounds a little crazy out loud). Does anyone else feel this way?

Last week I asked, What are some of your favorite journaling supplies? Today I'm going to share my favorite supplies and some of my favorite answers from everyone who answered.

I Can't Live Without:

  • India Ink Pens: I love the feel and color of these. The pen fits really nicely in my hand, the ink always flows smoothly, and it has a really great black-brown color that isn't as stark and in your face as some of the other black markers out there. 
  • Grid Journal: I'm a sucker for grid paper. It's one of my human weaknesses. I think my handwriting looks better, I can write both horizontally and vertically. I can fill in the little boxes and make fun doodles. 
  • Instagram: The easiest way to share a quick handwritten list. Lots of times I'll write out my grocery list and then instagram it & send it to Jeff to get the stuff. 

Lots of you really love your notebooks and your favorite pens. There were a bunch of supplies that I'm definitely going to check out next time I'm at the art store. Some of my favorite answers from you guys:
  • Ink ink ink, all the time! unless it's a dixon ticonderoga black pencil. cause those are awesome. - Alison
  • Smash pads! So cool for listing, especially the Top 10 one. - Sarah
  • My favorite tool right now is my Kindle Fire and Springpad app - I've created a notebook to journal in every day. - Kris Marie
  • My favorite tool right now is my gold pencil. :) Then my extra fine black sharpie. Then my new journal with the deer on it. I could go on and on. - Gracie
  • A pen and paper is all I need to make a list. Nothing fancy... - Vera
PS -- the 30 Days of Lists giveaway is open through the end of the day; but you can still register up until the 31st!