Friday, April 19, 2013

Mini-Book Organization with a Project Box


On my desk right now. I'm currently working on an All About Me mini-book in conjunction with the Studio Calico This is Me workshop by Lexi Bridges. Mini-books have always been my favorite memory-keeping projects but to keep them from getting overwhelming, with supplies all over the place, I keep all the supplies in a Project Box.


My Project Box is made out of a Sterilite Large Clip Box. I bought these in bulk and they stack perfectly in my expedit shelving unit, so that I can work on several projects at once and still keep everything organized. I'll let you in on a little secret -- my 2012 December Daily is still in its Project Box because I haven't finished it up.

The first step in creating a Project Box is to decide on an overall theme. For this project I chose a palette of bright feminine colors with lots of graphic patterns and black/white as my neutral colors.

Project Box Essentials:

Even though this box is specific to the all about me mini-book, each box has the same six essentials:

  • Ink Pads: Small ink pads (like the Dew Drops pictured) fit right inside the project box and are perfect for both stamping and distressing. Pick out colors that match your color pallet. A black ink (not pictured) is always in the bottom of my project box as well. My two favorites are Versafine Onyx and Staze On
  • Pen: At least one journaling pen. My go-to pen is the Sakura Microperm; it is smudge-proof and writes beautifully. 
  • 6x6 Paper: Small paper pads are my new favorite way to buy scrapbook paper; its the best of both worlds -- one of each design & and a smaller, more reasonable amount of paper to use. For this project I'm using Basic Grey's Knee Highs patterned paper -- love those colors. 
  • Alphas: At least one set of alphas. I prefer the smaller alphas (like the Basic Grey ones seen here) for mini-books and larger projects because of the amount of letters per sheet. I know that I'm not going to run out of E's or S's in the middle of a project and freak out. 
  • Washi Tape: It's a great multitasker and my favorite scrapbook embellishment right now. This box has rolls with graphic patterns and this very cool label washi tape from Fab. 
  • Bits & Pieces: In the corner of my Project Box I keep a small container for little odds and ends; wood chips, flair, buttons, etc. This way the little bits don't fall to the very bottom.  

Inside Pages
Here are some photos of the inside of my book so far. I've been working on it at night when I catch a spare hour or two. I'm really enjoying digging deeper into my story and documenting all the me stuff; the silly and the serious. 




**Weekend Sale at shop.rukristin.com. FREE SHIPPING with orders over $25!! Enter code: FREESHIP  (US only). All international orders receive $6 off shipping charges -- leave a message at checkout.

Supplies Used:


rukristin papercrafts participates in several affiliate programs including amazon, two peas in a bucket, and several others; thanks for supporting this blog by making purchases through those links.