Friday, August 26, 2011

The Calm Before the Storm


Good Evening! 


Jeff and I were supposed to spend the weekend in wonderful Cape May, NJ at his parents shore house; but on our way down yesterday they issued a mandatory evacuation of the area due to Hurricane Irene.  It's supposed to be the worst storm to ever hit New Jersey.  It will definitely be something to remember. 


We are back home now and we've settled in for the weekend. We have a ton of water, lots of ice, more than enough food. 


All the local grocery stores are out of water, milk, a lot of canned goods, batteries, etc. We here up in North Jersey really LOVE to over-prepare for things like this. There's plenty of gas stations with no more gasoline. Crazyness. 




photos courtesy of my sister Lauren


I still need to round up the candles and the flashlights and put them in a central location. I'm preparing myself for the power going out; but I'm not sure if I can handle an extended power outage---the electric company just sent around an email telling people there will more than likely be areas without power for 1-3 weeks. 


They've instituted contraflow on the major highways in the shore areas (my new favorite word); where all traffic in all lanes goes away from the shore (so even the southbound lanes have cars going northbound). 


I hope to get a lot of scrapping done, and we just bought a new video game--Tropico 3, its a city building game where you are the dictator of an island in the Caribbean, and you have to complete certain objectives. 


Now is just that horrible calm before the storm waiting period, where you really have no idea what's going to happen...just that it is going to happen. 


Hope everyone else is able to stay safe this weekend!