Friday, July 27, 2012

Misting and Whimsy



Hi Hi Everyone! 

Today I'm sharing this awesome layout I made last week for Basically Bare, and a step-by-step tutorial to go along with it. 

Because my style is generally colorful and graphic -- I tend to be sparse with my bigger/bulkier embellishments; but when I first saw the new faniciful frames, I knew they would make perfect masks to mist with.





 Today I'm going to show you step-by-step how to use basically bare chipboard and/or acrylic to make your own masks for misting.  This technique can be used with any of the chipboard or acrylic embellishments and is a great way to get a bunch of uses out of your product before gluing it down on a final project!

**Warning: VERY photo heavy** 
Post Continues After the Jump
Step One: I started by pulling out the new Faniciful Frames II. I decided to cut down a couple of the frames because some of were a little bit too wide, and I also wanted a couple extra frame masks.


Step Two: I used washi tape (masking tape works fine too) to mask off a square around the inside part of the wide frame.


Step Three: I then took my clear ruler and exacto knife, and made long cuts on the outside edge of the washi tape.


Step Four: After cutting the inside frame out, I was left with two new frames -- a thinner version of the original, and a perfect square.


Step Five: Pull off all the plastic, and you're left with two perfectly clear frames. At this point, I pulled the plastic off all the acrylic frames I was going to use. I've found that mists will clean up easier when the plastic is off the acrylic.


Step Six: Lay out the frames on the background cardstock (I used a sheet of white 8.5x11). I moved them around until I was happy with the placement. I did make sure that I had one large complete frame totally within my paper so I would have a place for my photo, and also several other frames overlapping the outside edges.


Step Seven: I transferred my paper and frames to my misting box (An empty pizza box works really well) which I placed on the floor. I really like standing up over the box and misting down, so I also covered the floor with newspaper as not to mist on my carpet.


Step Eight: Because newly misted paper tends to curl up, I let my newly misted background dry for several minutes before sandwiching it in between a couple of stacks of paper to flatten it out.


Step Nine: I drew around the outside edges of the frames with a .01 Zig Millenium writing pen to make the frames pop out a little bit more, and then started to build upon my layout by adding my photo and some patterned paper to the inside of the frames.


Here are a couple closeups: 


On Monday I'll show a quick video tutorial on how create those cute chipboard hearts from the Basically Bare chipboard Blossoms. 

Supplies Used: Basically Bare Fanciful Frames II, Basically Bare Blossoms & Leaves set, Zig Millenium Pen .01, Cosmo Cricket 23 tag set, Studio Calico Mr. Huey Custard, Studio Calico Hey Day 6x6 pad, Bella Blvd Blue Airmail Washi, BananaFish Studio Remember Tag and You journaling card.


PS -- Jeff and I are off to the Newport Folk Festival this weekend! I've been looking forward to this trip for months. I'm bringing multiple cameras and an Amy Tangerine Daybook to help document the fun. Lots of pictures and projects when I get back!