Thursday, May 16, 2013

DIY Gift Wrap


Use your craft stash to create the perfect wrapping paper for any occasion! I'm a huge fan of only buying plain/neutral rolls of gift wrap (or art paper like pictured here) for wrapping presents. I have everything I need to decorate my packages right in my craft stash. This is a great way to use up that extra washi tape, or those embellishments you have lying around. 

I started out by wrapping my gift in white textured art paper (the kind that comes on a sheet at the art store) I like the feel of the textured paper and it gives the finished package a little bit more interested than if I would have just used smooth paper. 

My first step was to grab my new Studio Calico neon mists and layer a couple of colors on top of one another for a cool splattered paint look. 

The key to layering mists for splatter is to start with the color you want to see the most of. Open the bottle of mist and carefully hold the nozzle over the gift wrap and tap the top with your fingers a couple of times; drops should fall down. Experiment to create different sizes and splatter patterns. Once you're happy with that color, move onto the next mist and repeat the same steps as above, using about half the mist as you did the first time; repeat with more colors as necessary. 


I added black and white polka dot washi both horizontally and vertically to mimic the traditional look of a present wrapped up with a bow. Instead of a bow, I added a chipboard star. I finished off the box with bold glitter thickers to really make my message stand out.