Thursday, May 30, 2013

Storytelling: Free Write

Storytelling is a weekly blog series hell bent on trying to squeeze a little bit more storytelling onto scrapbook layouts, art journals, and other memory-keeping projects. Whether its through pictures, paper, or prose, I'll show you some of my favorite techniques for getting more of your story onto the page. 


Today's storytelling post is about free writing. Free writing is when you just put pen to paper and go, not worrying about spelling, grammar, sentence structure, etc. This is a great way to grab some of those bottled up feelings that can be difficult to write about in a standard, structured situation. I like to think of it as a written down record of the inner monologue that's going on in my head. It's a great way to add some 'right now' thoughts to Project Life as well. Just grab a journaling card and start writing. 

The journaling on this layout in particular was written as sort of a 'pep talk' to myself. I had been feeling a little down and out of sorts (for no real reason other than that's how I was feeling) and writing this out made a world of difference. It is so cathartic to take those words floating around in your head and cement them on a piece of paper. 

Free writing can get emotional (although it doesn't have to be) and you might want to tuck away those words so you can choose who sees them and when they are seen. Hiding your journaling doesn't take anything away from your storytelling. You are the author of your own adventure and you get to choose how you want your story told. If you don't want anyone else to read it, that's your right. 

A big part of telling your story is knowing who your audience is. For me, most of the time with free writing, my audience is myself. I don't care about anyone else, I just want to get those words out on the paper for my own benefit. When I'm finished with the journaling, I'll read it over and see if its fit for anyone else to read, let alone public consumption. If its not; I'll stick the layout or project in a special binder, or hide my journaling in some form (envelopes and flaps are my go-to hidden journaling techniques). But most of the time, my free writing journaling projects go right in with everything else, its all part of my story and who I am. 


If you have something to say, but you aren't sure where to start or what the rights words are, try free writing. Crossing words out is okay too, its all part of how your brain works while writing and its all part of your story!

Have you ever tried free writing? If so have you used it in a scrapbook or memory-keeping project? If you have a project with some free writing that you'd like to share, please leave a URL link in the comments below.

Supplies Used: Basic Grey 'Hey You' Stickers, Basic Grey for Studio Calico patterned paper, Kelly Purkey Alpha Stickers, Sakura Souffle Pen (grey), Sakura Microperm,