Thursday, September 30, 2010

Two Mad Men Episodes

I had thought there might be some Mad Men in my future when I was writing up that last post, and alas I was correct.  We watched two episodes near the end of season three.  If you don't watch Mad Men, you should. First a few words on my favorite television program (maybe ever), and then my thoughts on the two episodes I watched tonight.


Mad Men: The best show ever created for television, hands down.  Reasons: innumerable.  Over time, I'll get into all the little things about the show that I love about Mad Men.  But for now the two biggest reasons: Feminism and Art.
Feminism: Extremely strong female characters. Strong in different aspects of life--which is hard to pull off in a television show. They show the struggles of middle and upper class women very well, and make you reflect on how it really was different for women back then, and yet very much the same. The story lines create such perfect fodder for my personal addiction to critical feminist thought. 

Art: What more can I say? I am in love with the fashion, the design, the style, the color, everything from this era. This is my perfect vintage. The color pallets alone make me swoon. I think this is a show that everyone should try to get into...and give it a serious go, 4-5 episodes.  It might not be for everyone, but its one of the most amazing things I've seen.

Warning: Spoilers Below

Season 3 Episode 11 - The Gypsy and the Hobo

This was a solid episode.  Not one that evokes a ton of emotion (except at the end), but one that really helps move the story line along and wraps a bunch of loose ends together.  Much appreciated.

There were a couple things that did stick out in my mind though.   The women seemed especially weak/vunlerable in this episode.

First, the whole Don/Sally's Teacher relationship. I just don't get it. I guess I'm not understanding what it is that she wants/what she thinks she's going to get out of this relationship, I just can't relate at all, and I'm very put off when I can't relate to a woman in this show. For some reason, she makes me very uncomfortable.

Next: I have a big problem with the way that the family lawyer treated Betty.  She had asked for his advice in confidence, and instead of giving her legal advice, she gets a paternal lecture about how she should just go home to her providing husband.  What I have a problem with most, is not the advice itself (which by the way does suck), but the way in which the lawyer treated her, not as a client, but as a child.  His words at the end, "what I would tell my own daughter" illustrate perfectly that he thinks of her not as a client, but as a little girl who just needs to be taken care of.

Now a few things that make me happy! Joan and Roger talking to each other! I love their relationship on the show, they are so much fun to watch.  They both thrive on the same attention, and give it to each other in just the right dose, it makes me happy inside! And Betty confronting Don about the desk drawer. It was important for Betty to see him cry like that. Just as it was important for Don to realize that he can't bully her forever.


Season Three Episode Eleven - The Grown Ups

The Kennedy Episode.
Pretty much says it all.
Done perfectly.
Everyone's reactions.
But yet the world still went on...in a fragmented sense at least.

I have about 8 minutes left to watch tomorrow. Until then.